With chillier temperatures, you may be experiencing more skin dryness than usual. Environmental factors like low humidity and wind can draw the moisture out of your skin, leaving it dull, flaky, itchy, and even cracked. Turn on that indoor heating system and it will make those problems even worse.
While, sadly, we can't control the weather, we can give you our best dermatologist-approved advice on sealing moisture into
skin, even as temperatures continue to drop. Here are 5 simple steps:
- Cleanse gently, only when needed. If you wash your face twice daily in the summer, you might wash it just once daily in the winter.
- Choose a more hydrating facial moisturizer. The water-based formulas that fly off the shelves in summer might not cut it during these colder months.
- Use a humidifier. Reintroduce much-needed moisture into the air with a humidifier. Your skin (and your sinuses) will thank you.
- Apply lotion right after showering. It will give you the best chance of sealing moisture into your skin.
- Continue to wear sunscreen. Short winter days can still be sunny days, and your skin is still vulnerable to sun damage in the cooler months.
If you have any questions about moisturizing your skin or you still don't feel your best after following the steps above, just give us a call. Schedule an appointment today!