With the time change and chillier temperatures, some of you may be experiencing skin dryness and unfortunately, it's pretty common this time of year. Environmental factors like low humidity and wind can draw the moisture out of your skin, leaving it dull, flaky, itchy, and even cracked. Turn on that indoor heating system and it will dry the air and make those problems even worse. 😥
Since we can't control the weather, sadly, we can give you our best dermatologist-approved advice on sealing moisture into skin, even as temperatures continue to drop. See 5 simple steps below:
- Cleanse gently, only when needed. If you wash your face twice daily in the summer, you might wash it just once daily in the winter. Our Gentle Soothing Cleanser is a cream formula that draws out impurities without stripping the skin.
- Choose a more intense facial moisturizer. The water-based formulas that fly off the shelves in summer might not cut it in November. We recommend SkinMedica's Dermal Repair Cream for parched skin, which restores moisture readily with hyaluronic acid.
- Use a humidifier. Reintroduce much-needed moisture into the air with a humidifier. Your skin (and your sinuses) will thank you.
- Apply lotion right after showering. It will give you the best chance of sealing moisture into your skin. We recommend ISDIN's Uradin Lotion10, which helps itching and lasts up to 24 hours.
- Continue to wear sunscreen. Short winter days can still be sunny days, and your skin is still vulnerable to sun damage in the cooler months. For dry skin, choose a moisturizing formula like EltaMD's UV Sport SPF 50.
If you have any questions about moisturizing your skin or you still don't feel your best after following the steps above, just give us a call. Happy Hydrating! 💦