To courteously and professionally greet patients, obtain demographic and insurance information, enter information into a medical computer system, prepare patient charts, communicate financial information, request and receive payments, and make patient follow-up appointments, while maintaining patient confidentiality.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (* = essential functions):
· To greet patients promptly and in a courteous and professional manner, providing necessary instructions and/or directions to complete the intake process.*
· To obtain and accurately record appropriate demographic, financial and/or referral information.*
· To competently utilize the computer system, including look up, accurate data entry, and generating information and/or reports as needed for billing or other purposes.*
· To properly collect and scan drivers’ license and insurance information to file in EMR. *
· To ensure patient information is current, collect co-pays, ensure all necessary forms are completed, legible and signed.*
· To timely notify back office staff that patient is ready for appointment.*
· To make patient appointments for follow-up visits, surgical procedures and/or appointments with other providers.*
· To revise daily schedules for cancellations or “No Shows” and advise other appropriate clinic staff of changes in a timely manner.*
· To perform clerical duties such as photocopying, preparing labels, faxing, filing, sorting, preparing batch cover sheets, etc.*
· To conform to all HIPAA regulations and maintain strict patient confidentiality.*
· To ensure the waiting area is clean and orderly throughout the work day.*
· To timely and courteously assist patients with the check-out process, ensuring strict adherence to all cash handling policies and procedures.*
· To answer phones in a pleasant manner and deal with patients’ and other caller’s needs expeditiously.*
· To treat peers, superiors, subordinates, patients and vendors with fairness, courtesy and professionalism and contribute to the overall positive work environment of the clinic.*
· To report to work at the scheduled time, demonstrate consistent and regular attendance, and consistently work the duration of the scheduled shift.*
· To perform other duties as assigned.
Job Specifications (KSAs):
· High school diploma or GED.
· Minimum of one year experience in customer service setting, preferably six months receptionist experience in health care setting.
· Ability to interact in a consistently professional and courteous manner with co-workers, patients, physicians and all others with whom contact occurs in the workplace.
· Ability to properly utilize office equipment, including multi-line phones, computers and copy, fax and credit card machines, and other basic office equipment.
· Excellent customer service skills.
· Ability to type/keyboard a minimum of 30 wpm with 90% accuracy.
· Ability to use copy machine, 10-key adding machine, credit card payment machine, and other basic office equipment.
· Ability to handle paperwork/sorting and filing in an organized and timely manner.
· Ability to communicate clearly in person and on the phone, and establish/maintain cooperative relationships with patients and their families, physicians, staff and other customers.
· Ability to read, understand and follow oral and/or written instructions in English.
· Ability to work varying hours as needed by the clinic, including some occasional week-end hours.
· Reliable personal transportation, automobile insurance and willingness to travel to other offices as needed.
· Ability to file correctly by alphabetic or numeric systems.
· Physical ability to stand for 6-7 hours/day.
Position Performance Criteria:
1. Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills as discerned through observation of courteous and professional dealings with patients and others.
2. Accurately interprets and applies policies and procedures using sound judgment as is related to overall front office operations.
3. Thoroughly and accurately completes all paperwork and computer processes related to patient information, intake and check out.
4. Communicates clearly, professionally and respectfully to patients, superiors, subordinates and others.
5. Consistently performs as a member of the team as demonstrated by cheerfully contributing time and effort to less appealing tasks such as ensuring the waiting area is clean, maintaining a clear work area, etc.
6. Efficiently organizes and prioritizes work flow.
7. Consistently maintains patient confidentiality.
8. Consistently engages in all time-sensitive tasks with appropriate levels of urgency, e.g. does not procrastinate.
9. Demonstrates high reliability through consistent punctuality and attendance.
10. Demonstrates overall professionalism in attitude, demeanor and personal appearance.