To courteously and professionally greet patients, obtain demographic and insurance information, enter information into a medical computer system, prepare patient charts, communicate financial information, request and receive payments, and make patient follow-up appointments, while maintaining patient confidentiality.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- To greet patients promptly and in a courteous and professional manner, providing necessary instructions and/or directions to complete the intake process.
- To obtain and accurately record appropriate demographic, financial and/or referral information.
- To competently utilize the computer system, including look up, accurate data entry, and generating information and/or reports as needed for billing or other purposes.
- To properly collect and scan drivers’ license and insurance information to file in EMR.
- To ensure patient information is current, collect co-pays, ensure all necessary forms are completed, legible and signed.
- To timely notify back office staff that patient is ready for appointment.
- To make patient appointments for follow-up visits, surgical procedures and/or appointments with other providers.
- To revise daily schedules for cancellations or “No Shows” and advise other appropriate clinic staff of changes in a timely manner.
- To perform clerical duties such as photocopying, preparing labels, faxing, filing, sorting, preparing batch cover sheets, etc.
- To conform to all HIPAA regulations and maintain strict patient confidentiality.
- To ensure the waiting area is clean and orderly throughout the work day.
- To timely and courteously assist patients with the check-out process, ensuring strict adherence to all cash handling policies and procedures.
- To answer phones in a pleasant manner and deal with patients’ and other caller’s needs expeditiously.
- To treat peers, superiors, subordinates, patients and vendors with fairness, courtesy and professionalism and contribute to the overall positive work environment of the clinic.
- To report to work at the scheduled time, demonstrate consistent and regular attendance, and consistently work the duration of the scheduled shift.
- To perform other duties as assigned.
Job Specifications (KSAs):
- High school diploma or GED.
- Minimum of one year experience in customer service setting, preferably six months receptionist experience in health care setting.
- Ability to interact in a consistently professional and courteous manner with co-workers, patients, physicians and all others with whom contact occurs in the workplace.
- Ability to properly utilize office equipment, including multi-line phones, computers and copy, fax and credit card machines, and other basic office equipment.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to type/keyboard a minimum of 30 wpm with 90% accuracy.
- Ability to use copy machine, 10-key adding machine, credit card payment machine, and other basic office equipment.
- Ability to handle paperwork/sorting and filing in an organized and timely manner.
- Ability to communicate clearly in person and on the phone, and establish/maintain cooperative relationships with patients and their families, physicians, staff and other customers.
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral and/or written instructions in English.
- Ability to work varying hours as needed by the clinic, including some occasional week-end hours.
- Reliable personal transportation, automobile insurance and willingness to travel to other offices as needed.
- Ability to file correctly by alphabetic or numeric systems.
- Physical ability to stand for 6-7 hours/day.
Position Performance Criteria:
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills as discerned through observation of courteous and professional dealings with patients and others.
- Accurately interprets and applies policies and procedures using sound judgment as is related to overall front office operations.
- Thoroughly and accurately completes all paperwork and computer processes related to patient information, intake and check out.
- Communicates clearly, professionally and respectfully to patients, superiors, subordinates and others.
- Consistently performs as a member of the team as demonstrated by cheerfully contributing time and effort to less appealing tasks such as ensuring the waiting area is clean, maintaining a clear work area, etc.
- Efficiently organizes and prioritizes work flow.
- Consistently maintains patient confidentiality.
- Consistently engages in all time-sensitive tasks with appropriate levels of urgency, e.g. does not procrastinate.
- Demonstrates high reliability through consistent punctuality and attendance.
- Demonstrates overall professionalism in attitude, demeanor and personal appearance.
Job Type: Full-time