To assist in routine and other non-standard staining tests used in diagnosis and treatment of disease, under general supervision by the Lab Supervisor, functions as a technologist in the Immunohistochemisty Laboratory, performs a wide variety of immunoperoxidase staining procedures, in-situ hybridization staining, histochemical stains, daily QC review with a Pathologist, and other related duties. Incumbent must be able to flex work hours as needed to meet Department operational needs. Requires high-level organizational and multi-tasking skills to complete staining utilizing multiple different methodologies for a variety of antibody and special stains. Classification based on education and related experience in an immunopathology or histology laboratory.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- To log required and regulated temperatures, reagents, and instrument maintenance of all equipments as required by CLIA / CAP and other regulating agencies on the equipments’ log with dates and initials.
- To embed at least more than 10% of the total blocks accurately as instructed by the policies and procedures.
- To cut at least more than 10% of the total routine blocks accurately as instructed by the policies and procedures.
- To perform special staining and IHC (Immunohistochemistry) procedures as instructed by the reagents/equipments manufacturer’s and laboratory policies and procedures.
- Organizes daily workload by stain request (i.e. IHC, Special stains, and recuts of slides).
- Prepares slides for routine, special and immunohistochemical staining.
- Prepares all necessary Antibodies, detection kits, enzyme / digestion reagents, and appropriate controls prior to starting the IHC autostainer.
- To prepare patient slides and blocks for Quality Control.
- To perform evaluation of all control slides and maintain Quality Control log.
- To complete procedures within strict deadlines.
- To deliver slides for microscopic examination.
- Troubleshoots test results immediately with lab supervisor, or independently.
- To assist in maintaining master antibody list.
- To complete validations as instructed by the laboratory policy and procedure manual.
- To write and revise laboratory policy and procedure manual as needed.
- To assist laboratory supervisor with projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- To receive, and log specimens on the laboratory computer program system for gross examination.
- To perform gross examination of specimens as instructed by the policies and procedure manual.
- To diligently follow all lab procedures in the preparation of tissue samples for pathological testing.
- To prepare slide preps specimens for microscopic within the same day of receipt.
- To be aware of and strictly comply with all OSHA (safety) and CLIA (lab certification and registration) and HIPAA (patient confidentiality) regulations in the performance of all aspects of the position.
- To efficiently organize, file and be able to locate all specimen blocks, containers and log reports and dispose them as necessary per CLIA regulations.
- To appropriately maintain all solutions and stains used in the pathological testing process according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
- To operate, clean and sterilize laboratory equipment, glassware and instruments, ensuring a clean work area at all times.
- To courteously, professionally and in a timely manner, respond to routine laboratory inquiries both internal and external, whether in writing, in person or over the phone.
- To maintain an adequate supply of all items necessary for laboratory operations by maintaining an accurate and timely inventory and ordering supplies bi-weekly.
- To continually update the laboratory manuals by staying abreast of new product/chemical and other new laboratory information and ensuring all updates are made in the manual and communicated appropriately.
- To participate in continuing education through required meeting attendance, including in-service meetings and educational programs.
- To participate in cross-training for other employees as requested by supervisor.
- To provide feedback to supervisors regarding laboratory policies and procedures to ensure continual improvement of processes.
- To contribute to a fair and positive work environment by treating patients, peers, superiors, subordinates, vendors and all others with professionalism and respect.
- To perform other duties as assigned.